Sunday, January 4, 2009

What to read in 2009

The new year starts and finds us at the end of another DC crisis, missing a Batman, and the Marvel Universe cleaning up after an invasion. It hasn't all been good, so I'm offering my picks on what to read going into the year.

Marvel's Noir series: I've read Spiderman and X-men so far, and I've enjoyed them very much. Give these a look if you like crime stories and mystery set during The Great Depression.

Dark Avengers: The Skrull invasion is over, and now it finally looks like the heroes of the Marvel universe will be fighting villians again. Say what you want about Norman Osborn not being a big enough villian to spearhead this, I don't care. I've followed his arc in Thunderbolts over the past year and he is a perfect choice. He has become the Anti-Tony Stark, which I hope will lead to the rejuvination of the real Tony Stark into a hero again. It looks like the pieces set into place by Thunderbolts will be picked up in Dark Avengers, and I for one cannot wait.

B.P.R.D. 1947: I read B.P.R.D. 1946 and loved it. Any story that brings together Nazis, vampires, Demons disguised as little Russian girls, Cybernetic War-Apes and WWII as well as this story did gets top marks from me. And now a sequel which promises more early Hellboy as well, sign me up!

Those are the titles I'm looking forward to. What are you excited about?

No comments: