Thursday, April 23, 2009

Mjolnir Watch '09

The watch continues!

Thor #601 hit this week, with a gorgeous cover by Marko Djurdjevic I might add. So let's investigate the current state of the mightiest weapon of all, Mjolnir!

If you remember, we last left Thor after he unwittingly killed his grandfather in battle which left Mjolnir in a sad, broken state:

This issue opens with Thor and Dr. Don Blake dealing with this fact. I appreciate that Straczynski takes the time to deal with this properly, and right out in the front of the story. Considering some of the chicanery with Mjolnir that has taken place in the recent past by other, shall we say, less concerned writers, ( I'm looking at you, Mr. Loeb) this is quite refreshing.

I'd say it is pretty bad, pal. Thor explains to Blake that this has happened before, but by the work of some kind of magic that was subsequently reversed. In this case, the hammer was broken by killing a god, which is unprecedented. How do you fix an enchanted hammer that was forged in the center of a star? Luckily for Blake, Mjolnir still works so that he and Thor can trade places, and Blake is careful to bring the pieces of his also broken stick (the mortal analog to Mjolnir) along with him.

Also in this issue, Loki's plan to move all of the inhabitants of Asgard to Latveria under the watchful eye of Doctor Doom come to fruition. I'm not sure where this is leading, but nowhere good, I'm sure of that.

Also, Doom admits he Wiki'd winkles.
All in all, a great read and a good direction for this story. I admit I have not been reading Straczynski's run on Thor until issue #600, but after this issue, I am going to go back and catch up with the trades. As Thor would say:


*cue AC/DC music*

No comments: