Thursday, April 30, 2009

Free Comic Book Day!


This Saturday at your local comic book store, go get a free comic book or three! Did I mention they are free? It looks like there are some good selections this year; Avengers, a Blackest Night preview, and that's just from the Big Two. I'll be hanging out for most of the day at Charging Star Comics in Conklin, NY. If you are in the area, stop in, its like Christmas Part 2!


As you may know, X-men Origins: Wolverine opens this Friday. I am planning to see it, though I am not expecting much more than a big-budget, over-blown, Hollywood fight-fest. No doubt it will look and sound amazing, while the story will be a ridiculously contrived mangling of the Wolverine mythos in order to cram as many claw inspired fights into two hours as humanly (or mutantly?) possible.

In my experience, there are two types of X-men fans: the comic book reading fans who know the stories and don't like Gambit, and the fans who only saw the cartoon of the 90's and think Gambit is the greatest thing to come out of Louisiana since the Utah Jazz. Let's be clear, this movie is for the second set of fans. I only hope there are enough redeeming qualities for the fanboys to at least enjoy the movie and not be sick in their popcorn.

Newsrama has a concise retelling of Wolverine's origin story here, so print it out, take it to the movie with you, and then crumple it up about 3 seconds in when they screw everything up.
Actually, the Newsrama article has inspired me to further distill Wolverine into a haiku:

Dead wives, surrogate daughters,
No memory, claws,
Adamantium, SNIKT!, bub.


Comics I bought this week:

Batman: Battle for the Cowl - The Underground

Dark Avengers #4

Thunderbolts #131
This one is the conclusion of the 4 part crossover with Deadpool, and it was a hoot! If you missed out on it, watch for the trade. Deadpool is one of the most entertaining comics out there, though I'm still on the fence about the new 'Bolts team. The boost from DP certainly helped, I'm just afraid the current cast of nobodys will fail to hold my attention for very long. The old team (the current Dark Avengers) is much more interesting.

2 comments:

Holly M. Wendt said...

...inverted haiku?

Bill said...

...um, YES! Exactly my intention. You win the secret prize! Good eyes!