Thursday, May 21, 2009

Incredible Hulk #600 - Numbers are hard

There is controversy over the numbering of The Incredible Hulk #600. Let's break it down:

Incredible Hulk Vol. 1 and 2 - 474 issues
Incredible Hulk Vol. 3 - 112 issues
Hulk (by Jeph Loeb currently) 12 issues

Equals = 598 - meaning it should be #599

However: Incredible Hulk was taken over by Hercules at issue #112, meaning we are one more short, so #598.

However: I also dispute the notion that the 12 issues of Hulk should count, considering the original title changed to Hercules but kept going, so #586

OR: count all of the issues of Incredible Hercules to #135, then we get #621.

Whichever way you want to look at it, Incredible Hulk #600 is not #600, and its crap that this seems to be the Year of 600 over at Marvel, despite what the issue numbers may imply. Now i'm going to take an Advil and lie down, my head hurts.

5 comments:

ChargingStar said...

HULK SMASH PUNY NUMBERS! Wait Hulk confused...Which numbers does Hulk smash first?

Bill said...

JOE Q SMASHED ALL NUMBERS!

Next week from Marvel: Agents of Atlas #600!!! NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME!

Mathemanic said...

I think you will find that there have actually been 548 issues - they seem to be counting the numbering as:

Incredible Hulk vol 1 #1-6
Tales to Astonish #59-101
Incredible Hulk vol 2 #102-474 (numbering carried over from Tales to Astonish)
Hulk vol 1 #1-11 ('475-485')
Incredible Hulk vol 3 #12-112 ('486-586') (numbering carried over from Hulk)
Hulk vol 2 #1-13 ('587-599')

Meaning that there is a gap of 52 issues that they have forgotten about between IH vol 1 and TtA. (Unless you also count annuals, specials, etc which might make up the difference, and you might include Marvel UK title Hulk Weekly which, while mostly reprints, did feature new stories in 19 issues)

Following the same pattern, Captain America meanwhile (discounting specials, annuals, 53 issues of other Timely comics, etc) has:

Captain America comics #1-78
Tales of Suspense #59-99
Captain America vol 1 #100-454
Captain America vol 2 #1-13
Captain America vol 3 #1-49
Captain America vol 4 #1-32
Captain America vol 5 #1-50

Based on the way they counted for Hulk, Captain America will actually be #599, while it should be #619.

Andrew Norris said...

The Hulk numbering works because they included the -1 issue from 1997. Check out the cover gallery in issue #600, its there.

Now why they don't include the -1 issue in other series during the re-numbering effort, I am going to say convenience.

I'm kinda sad they didn't include the cover gallery for Spidy #600, but they weren't renumbering so it wasn't necessary. Daredevil #500 better have it though!

I've dropped the (Red) Hulk book by Loeb once I figured out that he doesn't actually want to write about the Hulk. I considered picking up Incredible Hulk by Pak, but I've always found him to be a good, not great writer. I hope someone one day fixes this mess and lets Hulk be Hulk again.

MrGore said...

I don't buy comics cause they don't publish here, but I download all I can, I got the hulk till the 112 when it changes to Hercules,
then hercules till 138, Red hulk till 19, and now you telling there's a hulk magazine that starts on 600? and for what I seen on comicvine it goes to 606 right?
I'm asking cause I don't wanna miss out anything, and I hate when I start reading a comic and there's something behind I don't know.