Thursday, February 26, 2009

Action Comics #1 Goes To Auction, AP Shoddily Reports

Maybe I am the only one who cares, but after I read this story from the Associated Press, I got a little pissed off at the lack of professional journalism. To me, this is a microcosm of the bigger problem in American journalism today. You can tell whoever wrote this has no idea what he or she is talking about. That's fine, I'm sure there aren't that many comic book collectors working at the AP, but if you are going to write the story at least do the research and find out. The AP could have called me, I would have lent my expertise for a very nominal fee.

I'm not going to go into everything wrong with the article, but the first sentence should tip you off.
"A rare copy of the Action comic book that launched Superman..." Yes, it is not just a comic book, it is an 'Action' comic book. It doesn't just lie there waiting for you to read it, it gets all up in your face! Maybe you think I'm flying off the handle a little, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Tell you what, AP, if you would like my help with any comic book related stories in the future, feel free to contact me at this blog. The first time will be free. Anything I can do to help the press pull themselves out of the horrendous mire they've been sinking into over the past decade.

By the way, the comic for sale has been graded, and the auction starts Friday.
"Action!"

No comments: